Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 81: The Day Off, or Child-less Children's Day

My goodness, dear readers, your humble narrator has been so distracted with work and other suchlike inconveniences that updating this blog has slipped temporarily to the bottom of the to-do list. But fear not! I am here to update you with what has gone on since I last wrote, day by day as usual.

Here is what has gone on since I last wrote: Not Much.

Tuesday was our day off, a day that I had looked forward to for a few weeks at least. I awoke early, quite early (9, the time I would have woken up anyway had I gone to work) and immediately got settled in to an LSAT practice test. After I finished the test, I decided it would behoove me to go to the gym before heading out into Seoul in the afternoon with John as planned.

Unfortunately, for some inscrutable reason the gym was closed on Children's Day, and I walked home disheartened but far from defeated. I did a few crunches and push-ups at my apartment, called it a day, and hopped in the shower.

Come afternoon, I met up with John and we rode the bus into the city. It was quite crowded, as Children's Day is a holiday designed to get school-loaded kids to spend time with their workaholic parents. So, everyone and their Dad (literally) was headed into Seoul for some quality time. John and I lunched in Jonggak, the 5500's first stop in downtown Seoul proper, after cutting through the lengthy Namsan tunnel (passing, of course, under Namsan mountain). After lunch we boarded the subway and rode over to Yongsan, the Mecca of Electronics in Seoul and, for that matter, probably anywhere. Think Akihabara without the Anime or comic books, focused only on electronics and probably 5 times as large. Also without the Cat Cafes and costumed cosplayers.

I was in to switch out my Playstation 2 for a smaller PS2 Slim that would be more durable and easier/cheaper to get home, but of course a visit to Yongsan always merits a few DVDs. I got some Kubrick, John got some war films, all went home happy. Cue dinner at Olive with Kaleisha and John, and cuddling up to Full Metal Jacket. Scene.

No comments: