Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Days 74-68: Days turn into weeks

I present to you here a cop-out and a sincere apology!

I have gotten woefully behind in my writing. This week has been chock-full of busyness, work, study for the LSAT, trips to the gym and various other drains of my precious little free time.

I think I'm going to change the direction of the blog a little. I still want to update every day, but each day in the past I've put undue pressure on myself to put out a full-length post on some topic that took time to conceive and more time to write about. This led to a few nights the past week where I wasn't satisfied that I had a sufficiently interesting topic to post about, and so I pushed it back to the next day - which also got pushed back to the next day when I couldn't think of something for that day either. I don't want that kind of pressure to impede something which was originally intended as more of a "thought of the day" kind of thing, with longer, meatier entries when events warranted. I want it to get back to that, so that's what I have in mind for the future of the blog. Think of this week off as a sort of soft reset.

However, that doesn't mean the past week was without incident:

-I watched "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" with friends on Wednesday. It came on hearty un-recommendation from John. He was right, it was terrible.

-Saturday night, I had an absolutely astounding meal up in Seoul with my Korean friends. We went to a sushi restaurant that specializes in serving ONLY TUNA, which is of course the best kind of sushi, and it was tremendously delightful. They even played some really horrible cover versions of much-beloved songs, including (get this) and opera version of The Beatles' "Yesterday." Meghan, Rachel and I were shocked, appalled, and in hilarity.

-Sunday night saw Kaleisha and I heading into City Hall for a concert featuring none other than TOWER OF POWER, which was probably one of the highest-energy concerts I've ever been to, ranking right up there with Zebrahead in London and Ben Folds in Cedar Rapids. The Korean opening band was fantastic, too, falling somewhere between the aforementioned Tower of Power and Big Bang (Korea's biggest pop/hip-hop group). Their name was Common Ground and I will be seeking out their music before I leave the country, including hopefully attending another concert. Did I mention this concert was free, courtesy of one of Kaleisha's student's parents. Teacher's Day is awesome.

-Speaking of Teacher's Day, Jeff told me a good joke on Saturday:
Knock, Knock
Who's there?
To.
To Who?
It's "to whom." Happy Teacher's Day.

You can expect me back tomorrow. Again, apologies for the delay, and photos of my trip to Africa (from the last post) should be up shortly.

No comments: