Thursday, September 6, 2007

Photo-a-Day Double Dose Payday Special Extravaganza!

That's right, Wednesday was payday. You know what that means - too busy spending money to put a photo up. But seriously, I was really busy yesterday, and only some of it involved spending money. So I have for you today, gentle readers, a double dose of photographs, rather different, including my first photograph actually involving people. That's right, real, live people. Korean people! And one American. But first, this:
This is a shop that I saw out the window of the 500-1 bus that travels from Suji to Sunae (in Bundang) this bus is the fastest way to travel between these two cities and, as I'm beginning to expand my network in that city-I-almost-worked-in, I think I'll probably end up riding it quite a bit. I took this picture on the way to play poker at a bar by Sunae station with David and some of his coworkers at SLI - Bundang on Wednesday night. Specifically, this lovely little restaurant is in the neighborhood of Migeum - kind of like Suji plus. It's fairly big, very modern, lots of great shops and restaurants. The name of this one caught my eye as a particularly illustrative example of the way English has infiltrated the culture here. All I know is that I would definitely patronize a restaurant named "I love you." You can also see a Chinese character on the right of the neon sign. This is also a common tendency, especially in banking circles, where Chinese has heavily infiltrated the language. Also, I would definitely enjoy spending some more time in Migeum.
This is a photo of me and a few of my students. From the left, there's Tom, me, Christine, Jin Su, Chris, Andy and Michelle. These are a few students from Global Leaders 1, probably my favorite class to teach. They're among my higher-level students, lots of fun and very interested in learning English. Today in class I gave the class a really difficult crossword to do based on their vocabulary review (words like consequently, obtain, phenomenon and conflict). The group that finished with all the correct answers the fastest would be treated after class to a bowl of Ddeokbukgi, or rolled rice cakes in pepper sauce. Delicious! I also treated myself to a "chicken bar" which I think was actually fried pork in the same pepper sauce. Also delicious! I even got the kids to pose with me for a picture. I chose this picture over another, more posed one that we had taken because I think it shows the kids' personalities a lot more. Tom on the left is really quiet, Christine is a model student (she even helped me organize the order and taught me the numbers two and three so I could order properly), Jin Su and Andy are quite goofy, and Chris and Michelle fall somewhere in between. It's classes like these that are the most rewarding to teach, when they pay attention and actually seem interested in what I have to teach them.

1 comment:

Lou said...

OK! LOVE these pictures and the insight into your life there. The photo a day is a great idea. Glad you got paid so you could reward them.