Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Streetscape


This is one of many ubiquitous and mysterious doorways that line the street around here. When I eventually learn enough Korean to avoid stumbling blindly from one doorway to another like a renegade but slow-moving pinball, I'll be able to discern where exactly this door leads. The purpose of the large red portal-like object in front of the door is still a bit of a mystery to me as well.
I chose this picture that I took this evening because I think it illustrates a little bit of the mystery I still experience living here. For one, I'm not sure what these red, blue and green things are. They're scattered all over street corners and they're usually accompanied by piles of neatly stacked trash surrounding them. Upon opening the door, there is a cylindrical hollow which appears to serve no purpose whatsoever. Are these mailboxes? Public unlocked lockers? I have no idea, and it's exciting. Second, I have no idea where this door leads. It is not at all unique in that respect - there are so many doors leading off the streets of Seoul, doors that lead into stairways that could lead into anything - Noraebang, bars ("hof"), jimjibang (spas) or even just restaurants or residences. There's an ongoing sense of discovery every time I find myself following friends up a new stairway.

No comments: